Thursday, June 20, 2013

Review: Runes

Runes by Ednah Walters
Young adult, mythology, fantasy
Published May 20, 2013
Received an eARC from Firetrail Publishing through Netgalley for an honest review




This was an interesting spin on mythology that reminded me of Thor as I read it. It's funny because I just barely watched the movie Thor a few days ago and then I read this book and recognized a bunch of the mythology.

Runes is about a girl named Raine whose dad has been missing and never recovered from a plane crash, and she thinks she is in love with her best friend, Eirick. A stranger moves in next door named Torin St. James and she finds herself strangely drawn to him. He is mysterious and hot as all get out with blue eyes that she has a hard time resisting. Torin may not be all human, and she struggles to discover what he is and what he and his mysterious friends are hiding. And why all of a sudden she sees runes all over the place. And a bad case of the Norns are there to screw things up a bit, and add to the fun.

I almost found Torin as the only thing likeable about the story. The tension between him and Raine was delightful, exciting, and flutter inducing. But the triangles that seemed to be going on all over the place irritated me. I love a good triangle, but it was like everyone had a crush on someone else and nobody wanted to admit their true feelings. Except maybe Torin, but even he had a game he was playing.

The end revealed many surprises, and a few I did not expect. I was kind of mad about a big one between Raine and Torin, so it will be interesting to see how it plays out in the sequel.

I enjoyed that this book was different than any other I have read and was a new surprise on mythology. It was a good start to a series that I may continue.

My rating: 3 stars

Buy Runes at:
Amazon
Barnes and Noble


No comments:

Post a Comment