Monday, April 22, 2013

Review: The Girl Guide: Finding Your Place in a Mixed-Up World

The Girl Guide: Finding Your Place in a Mixed-Up World
by Christine Fonseca
Genre: Children's Nonfiction, Teens and YA
Release date: May 1, 2013
 

A big Thank You to Prufrock Press and NetGalley for giving me an ARC for a completely honest review.

When I heard about this new book by Christine Fonseca I was right away intrigued. Being a mother of 3 girls, and one of them just turning 12, had me wanting to find out more. As a mother it is important to me to help my daughters feel important, and to try to give them the tools that can help them become better women in the future, and to grow up making wise choices. And as a mom sometimes I need help with this teaching business. After reading the description I decided to request an ARC to see if it was right for my girls, and could also be a tool to help me. And what I discovered is a great guideline that Christine has written for growing girls, and a help to parents.

The Girl Guide offers advice, guides, quizzes, exercises, worksheets, and goals to work on the help young girls make wise choices. There is help and advice for working out problems with friends and school. There are exercises and charts to fill out and make  to help realize goals in life and what you can do to make them come true. It is a great book on helping teen girls find their own voice. And it has great quotes of wisdom spread throughout.

Some of my favorite things were when it explains how to make a Dream Poster. I think this is a great idea for everyone. Writing out your dreams and posting up pictures can help kids stay on track. And it is great idea to have it displayed as a reminder everyday. Another topic I loved was the explanation of rules. I have found it hard to get my pre-teen to understand that a lot of rules are for her safety, and this was explained very well for younger people to hopefully understand.

My most favorite idea in the book was keeping a gratitude journal. In a world that is becoming so negative and hard to survive in, I believe this is a great idea for everybody. I plan on getting all of my children a little notebook just for this that they can write a few things they are grateful for in it everyday. Hopefully this will make my family's lives more positive.

I found this book a great tool and plan on buying it for my daughter as soon as it is published.

My Rating: 5 stars

You can preorder:

Amazon

Barnes and Noble

Check out Christine Fonseca on Goodreads





No comments:

Post a Comment