Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Review: Prophecy Girl

Prophecy Girl
by Cecily White
Publisher: Entangled Publishing
Genre: YA Paranormal
 

A big thanks to Entangled Publishing and NetGalley for giving me a digital copy in exchange for a completely honest review.

Description from Goodreads:
Amelie Bennett. . . . Ending the world, one prophecy at a time.

I was born to slay Crossworld demons.
Big black flappy ones, little green squirmy ones. Unfortunately, the only thing getting slain these days is my social life. With my high school under attack, combat classes intensifying, and Academy instructors dropping right and left, I can barely get my homework done, let alone score a bondmate before prom.
Then he shows up.
Jackson Smith-Hailey. Unspeakably hot, hopelessly unattainable, and dangerous in all the right ways. Sure, he’s my trainer. And okay, maybe he hates me. Doesn’t mean I’ll ignore the wicked Guardian chemistry between us. It’s crazy! Every time I’m with him, my powers explode. Awesome, right?
Wrong.
Now my teachers think I’m the murderous Graymason destined to bring down our whole race of angelbloods. Everyone in New Orleans is hunting me. The people I trusted want me dead. Jack and I have five days to solve the murders, prevent a vampire uprising, and thwart the pesky prophecy foretelling his death by my hand. Shouldn’t be too difficult.

Getting it done without falling in love. . . that might take a miracle.


My thoughts:
This book was a roller coaster ride of ups and downs, hating and enjoying it, the whole way through. One minute I found myself enjoying trying to guess what would happen next. And then the next moment I was screaming at it to not do something stupid. And unfortunately I was a little disappointed with some stupid moves.

Amelie is the main character of the story. I found her amusing and just like a teenager as she should be, and some teenagers are annoying. Her character wants to kick butt and save the world, but she is ill equipped to do it. But there comes a very good reason why she has been the only girl in school that could not get her powers to work right, often ending in disasters. She has been given drugs to hold her back most of her life. I found her to be very oblivious, impulsive, and frustrating. Yet something about her makes me not hate her completely. She tries to be strong and save the day, so that gives her points in my book. But she could shut up and listen for a moment.

Jackson was my favorite character. He just tries to do what is right and follow the prophecy he has been taught to follow. He also puts up with Ami, and keeps her as safe as he can. He was easy to fall in love with. He did angrify me near the end and I almost threw my iPad with how the writer was taking the story. But the end redeemed it for now.

One more character I need to mention is Luc. He is a vampire. He was slowly brought into the story, but ended up having a big role in the end. I love how he was a vamp with a grumpy attitude. Yet he was loyal to Jack who is like a brother to him. I am very interested to see where the next book takes his part in the story.

I think this was a good start to a series, that is definitely geared toward young adults in high school. There was enough mystery and fighting to keep the pages turning, and enough left open at the end to have me waiting for book 2.

My rating: 3 stars

Purchase Prophecy Girl:
Amazon           Barnes & Noble




No comments:

Post a Comment