Monday, February 25, 2013

The Stone Guardian

Today I am reviewing The Stone Guardian by Theresa McClinton. I received this ebook from the author for an honest review from the Goodreads group YA/NA Fanatics which I am one of the mods of. You can read the blurb here The Stone Guardian

I loved this book. I was drawn in from the first chapter where I learned about Ashley who has grown up in an orphanage/institute. She has had nightmares all her life that result in her waking up with bruises, cuts, bodily harm of some sort, and no one that believes her. Then one night after a fire alarm sounds, she is kidnapped, along with her best friend Tara, from the orphanage by Renato and Marzena. She soon learns that she is the Guardian of an ancient stone blessed by the gods called the stone of Muuk'Ich. She must rescue the stone from Sarian since she is its rightful guardian and protector.

Sarian is the ultimate villian from the middle world. He stole the stone from Ashley's mother 17 years ago, and now he wants Ashley to be his and rule by his side in the underworld. He is the one that has haunted her dreams. He has been working on breaking the obedience spell from the stone so he can possess its powers.

Now Ashley and her new found family must work together with all of their supernatural abilities to retrieve the stone. What ensues is a story full of action and adventure. There is time travel, dream walking, healing abilities, and my favorite, Arwan and his timebender ability. There are creatures from hell, a bit of romance, and a trip back to the Victorian era with the help of a sort of succumbus that has her own reasons to get revenge on Sarian.

What I loved: Arwan! He is one of the love interests in the story. He is definitely drool worthy. I wished there was more of him in the story, and a big secret about him is revealed in the very end.

What I disliked: Ashley was too quick to make rash decisions. She made a choice at the end of this book that I am not so sure about. But it will make a great story for the sequel.

Craziest thing: When they go back in time the first time using Arwan's abilities and have to use an ancestor of the modern day fluke worm as an oxygen mask. Doesn't that give you the heebie jeebies???

Favorite quotes:
"Once you bond with the stone and become its guardian, it will be your soul mate. It will feel your pain, and you will feel its pain. When you are sorrowful, it will show compassion. When you are joyful, it will celebrate your happiness. It becomes a part of you, since you are in fact, a part of it." page 509 on iBooks

"He kissed her softly. "I may not have been so patient if I knew you would taste so good."" page 710 on iBooks

I did think this was a stand alone book, but it is not. It ended with a great setup for the next book, which I am very excited for:) This book is great for young and old adults!

My Rating: 4.5 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment