Saturday, March 30, 2013

Avenger by Heather Burch

Avenger
by Heather Burch
Publisher: Zonderkidz-Books
Expected Publication Date: April 2, 2013


I would like to thank Zonderkidz-Books and Heather Burch for providing me with a copy of Avenger for an honest review. I thought this was a great ending to the series, and wrapped it up nicely while still leaving it open for possible spin offs. While I thought Guardian, book 2 in the series, focused on the love triangle, Avenger did a great job at wrapping that up and leaving me pleased with the outcome, while also bringing on more action and adventure that didn't revolve around all that love.

This series has been about Nikki, and she finally gets to fulfill her destiny and be an "Avenger" in this final book. This required some more growing on her part. Nikki was finally able to recognize and feel faith. She had thought she found it in book 2, but realized it was Raven's faith she was depending on. And she was able to find the strength, through her faith, from Raven's efforts to keep her safe, and through Mace's love, to defeat a new monster, the Seeker, that was sent after her by Damon Vessler. What a lot of action this was. But it made everyone stronger, and they all realized where their strengths were and where they belonged. And she finally gets to become a Halfling with beautiful wings.

But of course, the action did not end there. Vessler still needed Nikki as the pawn in his evil plan for world domination. His plan to bring her to the dark side continued until the end. This was made possible by the added kidnapping of one of the Halflings own, and using it to lure Nikki to his lab. From here it was a battle for who would stay strongest, and ending with some sacrifices that will bring tears to your eyes.

And I have to talk about Damon Vessler. This has got to be one of the characters that I hate the most of any character ever. He used anything and everything to try and bring Nikki to the dark side. And he wasn't above any means of pain, torture, conspiracy, or blackmail. Pure evil. His ways had me even hating the book at one point.

I love the Lost Boys, and Heather Burch did a great job at building their characters to have me torn between who I loved most. I love how Vine always needs candy, Raven is fun and reckless yet strong and there to save the day, and Mace is a determined leader and always pushing to do better, yet compassionate.

Nikki is another story. One minute I like her, and the next I wanted to strangle her. But her motivation was always to save someone else, and sacrifice herself  for them. So I cannot fault her for that. And in the end what she did was what was tear inducing. And at least in this book she was stronger and did not faint.

This story was full of non-stop action, adventure, and romance. It made me angry, made me cry, and taught a little about faith, as it does have some religious aspects to it. I enjoyed it very much, and recommend to all those angel lovers out there.

My rating: 4 stars

You can learn more about Heather Burch and her writing on Goodreads

Purchase the books:
Amazon

Barnes and Noble







 

 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment